Monday, August 6, 2012

journal: week 3

It's more than a week since my last entry into this little e-journal.

Today I have spent 4+ hours of focused time on the pharma topic, reading published papers and text, and working on Activity 1 of Module 2.


It's a cold day, and although the heater is on, and I am warmly dressed, my hands and feet are cold.  I thought about going for a walk.  I went outside to check my leafless Bonsai trees, and put a little water on a few of them, and some ferns that were looking dry.  Then it started raining, so I didn't go for that walk.

I feel pleased with myself for having got on with the study.  The course information tells me that it requires 18 hours study per week, which is 3X6 or 2X9, and that's just not going to happen.  So I tell myself I just have to work smarter, not longer.

I do enjoy getting my mind around a subject.  It's often difficult to find blocks of time in my world.  The phone rings, a woman thinks she might be in early labour, so we talk for a while.  Then I need to think ahead - do I need to be ready to re-schedule any consultations?  Is my equipment ready?  ...  Perhaps it's time for a cup of coffee.  The phone rings again.  Emails come in.  Let's not even think about FB!  [and, you might wonder how I have time to write a blog?] 


Activity 1 of Module 2, Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics, is an exercise in which we look in some depth at the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of two medications. I have chosen Metoclopramide (Maxolon, an anti-emetic) and Enoxaparin (Clexane, a form of Heparin). 

Maxolon is a medicine that I might use if a woman is vomiting in labour.
Clexane is sometimes prescribed for pregnant women who have clotting disorders, or who have had recurrent early fetal loss.  One of my current clients is on Clexane, so it's a good opportunity for me to learn more about it.

Having put down the good side, here's a bit of the other side of the coin.

I am feeling very isolated and unsure as I work in this virtual classroom. I haven’t done online university study previously. I am wondering when we will have the opportunity for tutorials, and how that works. I am finding the discussion channels via the university's system and facebook inadequate and frustrating. There are 95 students enrolled, and it seems that the course was set up for a much smaller group. Many of the students seem to be in current employment, with a hope/plan for private practice in the future.

I am particularly concerned that I get it right, because other colleagues look to me for guidance.  It could easily be a case of the blind leading the blind.

Thankyou for your comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment, which will be emailed to me for moderation.