Monday, August 31, 2009

responsibilities of the homebirth midwife

This week I have been invited to speak briefly at an Australian Nursing Federation (ANF) Victorian Branch midwifery conference. My topic is THE LEGAL AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF A HOME BIRTH MIDWIFE – the buck stops with you!

I plan to make my presentation a tribute to homebirth and private midwifery practice as we know it. I will be using a brief slide presentation about the home-water-birth of a baby girl named Lila, about a year ago. The BMid student who was undertaking one of her follow-through journeys took the photos. Lila’s mother has kindly given me permission to share these intimate images with fellow midwives.

A focus on homebirth, rather than focusing on the woman, sets an unhelpful basis for this discussion. The place of birth, either home or hospital, is a choice that a well woman has if her midwife is competent in attending a physiologically normal birth in any setting. The picture of partnership between a woman and her midwife, who is primary care provider throughout the episode of care, is the key. The midwife is committed to the woman, not to the place of birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment, which will be emailed to me for moderation.