Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday afternoon, a time for quiet reflection

I am not writing to a particular audience today. According to the blogger program, the readership of this site is very small. That's OK by me. My writing here is introspective, making a record that I will be able to return to.

In years past I would write the weekly letter to my parents, and often ponder the seasons, and the wonders of nature. I haven't written weekly letters for some time now, and I think in some ways, blogging has replaced that ritual. As a blogger I have not sought a large audience. In some ways I see this record as something that one or two of my grand-children may read and appreciate one day, as I have enjoyed reading the brief writings of some of my forebears. I have not attempted to divulge deeply personal thoughts: I hope the things that are not said speak as loudly as the written words.

A good fire in the wood stove
Today I am setting into the record a few home-based memories; things that usually happen without anyone paying any attention.

Most of my recent blogging has been at villagemidwife, exploring some fairly heavy issues around regulation of the midwifery profession.


This morning we cut up some old Red Gum fence posts that are now stacked up as fire wood, ready to keep our home warm through the winter.


dwarf peach

With Noel's help I transferred two dwarf peach trees from the garden, where they had out-grown their allocated space, to styrofoam containers that will allow me to keep them healthy until the time comes to plant them out again.  The skills I have acquired with Bonsai have given me confidence to prune the roots as well as the canopy. 

This particular dwarf peach is a white fruit variety that I have known for as long as I can remember.  My dad grew them in his garden, and told me that they were special because the plants are true to type: that the seeds would grow into the same old variety of dwarf peach tree.  This is different from modern grafted varieties.  He gave me some seeds from his fruit, and these two trees have been growing near the washing line in my back yard for most of the past three decades.  From time to time I plant seeds from these trees, and have passed small potted trees to various family members and friends, just as Dad did all those years ago.



Japanese Maple

I don't want to miss the opportunity to record the last of the Autumn colours for this lovely little Japanese Maple. [See my comments about this tree in previous post, End of Summer]















Poppy making Pumpkin Scones
This week my beautiful 10-year old grand daughter Poppy asked me to help her make a batch of Pumpkin Scones to take to school for a class lunch. 

For the record, here's the recipe I use.  It's based on the Queensland PWMU (Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union) recipe, with a few of my personal changes.

Pumpkin Scones
Turn on the oven and set to hot.
Using a knife blade ... (not a wooden spoon),
Mix well 1/4 cup caster sugar and 1 tablespoon butter.
Add 1 cup cold mashed boiled pumpkin.
Add 1 egg and mix well.
Stir in 2+3/4 cups self raising flour, and 1/4 cup milk (with a dash of vinegar to make it sour)
Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead lightly with your fingertips. (the dough should stay cold)
Roll lightly, cut with scone cutter or small glass. (that's what Poppy is doing in the pic)
Bring the remainder of the dough together lightly with your knife, knead lightly, roll and cut.
Place scones on baking sheet, and cook 10 minutes, or until they are light to tap, and starting to turn golden brown.

When you take the scones out of the oven, place on a wire rack that has a tea towel on it.  Cover and cool in the tea towel.  Serve warm with butter, and home made plum jam.



Thankyou for your comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment, which will be emailed to me for moderation.