Monday, December 26, 2011

Simple pleasure

My life as a midwife brings the personal and the professional into an unpredictable, ever-changing mix. As long as I have mothers and babies on my books, I am conscious of the possibility that I may be called out at any time. This is particularly important to me at Christmas time.




Today is Boxing Day, and I am reflecting on our family's Christmas celebration. I want to record here a few of the simple pleasures that I experienced this Christmas. I call them simple, because they happen without any fanfare or note, but actually these pleasures are part of a wonderfully complex natural order that is ours to enjoy.

  • I treasure the births of two babies in recent days, with all the struggles and challenges birth brings. The knowledge that a young mother can confidently nourish and nurture her child, with loving support from the baby's father, gives me great pleasure. 
  • I treasure the singing of carols, reading of the scriptures, and reflecting on the reason for the celebrations.
  • I treasure the feasting: meals with family and close friends, sharing good food and fellowship. 
  • I treasure being able to take food from our garden and include it in the festive meals: eggs, herbs, peas, spinach, broccoli, leek, spring onion. 
  • I treasure the special festive foods that we make and eat: the stuffed turkey, the pudding in a cloth, the big fruit cake, the decorated gingerbread house 
  • I treasure the special family gatherings: this year we had a memorable performance of the Owl and the Pussycat from our seven-year old Poppy, who has realised that she can read even nonsense words like 'runcible'.


There are many more simple pleasures that come to mind.  Yet I know, dear reader, that this time of year also brings its share of pain and sorrow for many people.  Families with fractured relationships, and people suffering illness.  The experience of loneliness and loss will often destroy pleasure and suck hope out of life.  There is no simple answer, no easy fix, when sadness and fear threaten to overwhelm us. 

With this in mind, whether times are easy or difficult, I am reminded that the principles for a life of integrity are, "to act with justice, to love kindness (mercy), and to walk humbly with our God." (Micah6:8)

Thankyou for your comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment, which will be emailed to me for moderation.