Saturday, July 16, 2011

Birth Plan and Birth Preparation checklist

[This is the checklist that I review with women in my care at our Birth Preparation meeting at about 36 weeks]

BIRTH PLAN

A BIRTH PLAN is a guide for those who are with you when decisions need to be made.

A simple Birth Plan has two components, A and B.

PLAN A: “I am intending to give birth under my own power, and will do all I can to achieve the best outcomes for myself and my baby.”

PLAN B: “If medical intervention is recommended in order to achieve the best outcomes for myself and my baby, I need to be given the following information in order to make an informed decision:
• What do you want to do? [procedure, test, intervention, advice …]
• Why do you want to do that?
• What is likely to happen if I say 'no' - if I don't allow you to do IT?”
With this decision-making process you will only allow interventions that you believe are best for you and your baby.


BIRTH PREPARATION

(This list is only a guide – Please raise with your midwife any issues that you consider to be important)

LABOUR AND BIRTH:
1. Planned place of birth?
2. Backup hospital (for planned homebirth)?
3. Do you have a written birth plan?
4. Who do you want with you in labour and birth?
5. Information about complications.
6. Ruptured membranes and the risk of infection.
7. Options/preferences for pain management/relief.
8. Immediate contact with the baby.
9. Cutting the baby’s cord.
10. Blood loss, oxytocics.
11. Third Stage, caring for the placenta.

AFTER BABY HAS BEEN BORN
1. How long does my midwife stay?
2. Midwife’s involvement if hospital birth.
3. Assistance with baby care and breastfeeding.
4. Milk supply, meeting baby’s needs, breast fullness, expressing milk.
5. Blood loss, after pains, involution of the womb.
6. Healing of perineal tear, regaining muscle tone.
7. Vitamin K?
8. Newborn screening test?
9. Hepatitis B vaccine for baby?
10. Support at home – meals, cleaning, other children ...
11. Maternal and Child Health services? Community services and support groups.
12. Sexuality and contraception after having a baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment, which will be emailed to me for moderation.